iTunes Podcast Subscribe Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/culture-vultures-podcast/id641892049
Alternate Titles: "I'm A Dick Magnet
- Tonight's Beverages: Labatt Ice, Sam Adams Summer Ale, Jim Beam (Dirk); Jim Beam and Diet Mountain Dew (Otto).
- New pop filters deprive Otto of his fun.
- Dirk goes to court for some Constitutionally-suspect fun. (Read: Not fun.) Plus a hot Customs agent.
- Recapping Jimmy Doom's "The Masturbation Is Implied" performance last week.
- A detour into the films of Paul Thomas Anderson.
- The clip from Magnolia, mistakenly mentioned as being "Save Me" by Aimee Mann, which was in the movie, just not this scene:
- The whole Rush documentary:
- The woman who accused Conor Oberst of raping her recanted her claim triggering discussion of how the the expansion of anything into "sexual assault" is ruining lives.
- An update on Dirk's OnePlus One and it's awesome battery life.
- A preview of Satori Circus' new show "...poems we tell ourselves..." happening August 1 & 2, 2014.
- The source of Dirk's "Camera one, camera two..." reference:
- Lucy Lawless is joining the cast of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- J.J. Abrams teases the new-look X-Wing for the new Star Wars movie and the ridiculous rumors being peddled by nerd sites.
- The 5-minute Guardians of the Galaxy trailer:
- Dirk encounters jerks on the Internet. (Shocking, right?)
- DC Comics flunks PR101 in their handling of a Superman logo on a child's tombstone.
- Marvel Comics shakes things up with black Captain America, Tony Stark moving to San Francisco for Superior Iron Man, and Thor will become a woman. We discuss it.
- Riverdale's favorite ginger, Archie, is killed off, martyred on the altar of liberalism. (After taping, this very good opinion piece appeared here explaining why it was a meaningless death, but it seems to have gone behind a rather pricey paywall within a couple of days.)
- Tommy Ramone RIP.
- The actual origins of punk music.
- An example of flyer art from Dirk's band made from comic art:
- Discussion of Buffy The Vampire Slayer's "Once More, With Feeling" episode (Streaming here on Amazon Prime Video), various Christopher Guest movies and Jane Lynch.
- Free online screenplay formatting site Writer Duet. Best paid option: Fade In.
- Rundown of the new Humble Square Enix Bundle (running through August 5, 2014) which is mostly older and so-so titles unless you buy the top level.
- Daikatana - John Romero's folly as chronicled by Gamespot is missing, but a copy can sorta be read here); Stevie "Killcreek" Case's shameful transformation - old brown-haired, pre-surgery photos seem to have disappeared, but this is what she was turned into:
- Felicia Day: Nerd cute, natural, creative, credibility intact:
- Battlefield Hardline delayed and Dirk's clever way to buy Battlefield 4 Premium for half-price.
- Neversoft (Tony Hawk games, Guitar Hero) closes and gives their employees knives and burned their eyeball logo.
- The evil of pre-orders strikes again with Alien: Isolation is offering two DLC packs featuring the original movie's cast, but only with pre-orders and one of those is a Gamestop exclusive. The Verge and Polygon's coverage; Jim Stirling's righteous rant, "The Poison of Pre-Order Culture."
- Weird Al Yankovic threatens to have his first #1 album. (Note: After taping, it was confirmed that he did hit #1. Congrats, Weird!) The Business Week article we read from. The entire Behind The Music episode:
- Dirk reviews Transcendence and Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.
- The awesomeness of the original novella of The Running Man and the eerie echos of The Seige on 9/11.
- RIP Elaine Stritch and James Garner and Panic or Pain singer Scott Mick's sister.
- The Rockford Files answering machine message referenced can't be found online - a compilation of the 2nd season's openers is below - but here's the transcript of the S5E06 message: "Jim, directions to the party. Left on Saugus, you'll see a rock. Left, left again, right, another left, there's kind of a hill—keep going you'll probably see a bunch of cars."
- Dirk is missing some guitars.
Post a Comment